Dummy Training!

>> Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I came across this video and was wondering if anyone else finds it a little terrifying.

I am not sure I understand the need for the artificial training. Is it really necessary to build a dummy that gives birth to another dummy? How detached can we possibly become from human experience?

Women across the country, across the world, are giving birth every day in teaching hospitals. I feel that the students gained nothing from this unrealistic example of childbirth experience.

In my opinion, “Noelle the dummy” definitely needed a doula!!

1 comments:

Rachel June 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

This is really scary! A dummy can do nothing to teach of the fears, excitement, anticipation and hundereds of other emotions experienced throughout childbirth. I had a student midwife with me throughout my labour and she provided me with constant reassurance and support, while in turn I'm sure she learnt more from me (& Katie!) than Noelle would ever be able to teach!

Post a Comment

Childbirth is a time when a woman's power and strength emerge full force, but it is also a vulnerable time, and a time of many changes presenting opportunities for personal growth.

ANNEMARIE VAN OPLOO, Janet Schwegel's Adventures in Natural Childbirth
We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.
Laura Stavoe Harm
“Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.”
Barbara Katz Rothman

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP